25 May 2010

the end of an era





The series finale of Lost was on Sunday night.
It was...to most people, not the best ending. It didn't answer all our questions, nor did it give an astonishing ending. But it was good. To me, it signified the end of the last six years.

I texted my brother after it was over and we wrote back and forth about how many things have changed during our dedication to this show. All the changes we've made and places we've lived. How we fell in love with our now spouses, got married and the hard times we've gone through. Much like the characters in this show I feel that when the show started I didn't have much direction, nor a desire to find the direction. I was just a kid, mostly, and connected so deeply with a show that valued letting go and searching for the true Hope. I grew to love those characters and identified with them during parts of their journey.

And now it's over. And it ended good. I'm glad I don't have to go back six years and relive those times, but I am thankful for them.

Along that journey I met up with my cousins every week to follow the adventure and try to predict where it was going. We ran through the rain and chased after "Vincent."

Shortly after I met my future husband and Lost was how we struck up conversation. He hadn't seen season 2--and I had just bought it. We spent the next few weeks watching the entire season and quickly bonding and gradually falling for each other.

During the difficult hiatus, we had a miscarriage and it was probably better that way.

But during this last season, we have a little boy who tends to disturb us during commercials, who we didn't really name after the main character of the show, but if asked I might be tempted to say we did.

Fare thee well, Lost. Thank you for letting me come along your journey. I couldn't have imagined a better story.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...