15 November 2011

beginning to look a lot like Christmas



I'm not sure what's wrong with me lately. I'm going crazy organizing different rooms in the house and binging a lot of things I don't need/haven't needed for a really long time. It feels great. I don't think I nested when I was pregnant with Jack, so whatever this is feels kind of weird. But really fun.

I brought Christmas a little early this year. Mostly because a dear friend gave us a new tree and I wanted to see how it looked propped in the corner of the room with all it's twinkling white beauty. It looks so comfortable and cozy and like a little safe haven. At night, John and I relax next to it and it feels like a little nest built just for us. We are loving it. 

Thanks to the help of another dear friend we repainted a couple of dressers to put in Jack's room. They turned out really great! I've been sorting through Jack's newborn clothes and trying to share the love with other friends who are having little boys. Somehow ;), little Zoey has acquired a lot of clothes (all second hand, which is a good thing) but a part of me chuckles and wonders if she will always have a lot of clothes? John seems to think that it's not surprise when a girl has a lot of clothes (Huh?) It's kind of inspiring, really. As of right now, John and I's closet space is pretttty much 50/50. Perhaps I should live up to his expectations. One day. When buying itty bitty baby girl things isn't more fun than dressing a pregnant 26 year old. Aka, never.

The last couple of weeks have been busy and I find my internal comfort clock running out. I know in about another month I will be pretty massive and fairly uncomfortable so I'm trying to do all the things I love to do (ie, sit on the floor and sleep on my back) before things get too uncomfortable. I do feel so different in this pregnancy than with Jack and am reminded, once again, that I can do a lot more than I think. The human body is really incredible and what I thought would be too straining or cause contractions has only given me some sore muscles and an occasional achy back. I have, however, run out of room to rock Jack. He defers to his crib these days and doesn't want to snuggle much at all. 
But, oh, how hearing his sweet new words is like music to my soul. He fills our day with words like, "Help you, mama" (help me!) and "Tank you, mama. Love you, mama." Every sentence ending in either a "Mamadaddy" combo or just plain, "mama" or better yet, "daddy." I try to remind him who I am, but sometimes we are seen as one, I guess. He's also learned more colorful phrases like, "Mine!" and "No night-night." and "Oh, man!" He's becoming a little parrot and tends to repeat our phrases. My current phrase is when I say to John, "Hey babe??" Jack repeats it over and over until he finds John. So precious.

//

Today I was reminded how much the dynamics of Jack and I's relationships will change when Zoey arrives. I love having play dates and spending time with friends (sometimes I enjoy this a little more than Jack, I think.) But I was reminded today of the beauty of embarking on an adventure just the two of us. To look at the fish at Petco. To share popcorn and stroll around Target. To giggle and laugh together and let him walk like a big boy. And is he ever big. This little person that used to snuggle so close and take twenty minutes to rock to sleep has become this boy who kicks in the cart and talks about each car and truck that we pass. I know it's only been two years, but it feels like so much longer. I treasure these days where we open the string cheesed in the cart (because we can) and talk about the raven that is landed by our car. Jack was so fascinated with the bird and kept asking if the bird was crying. This kid gets me every time.

//

A couple weekends ago we celebrated Jack's birthday with some good friends (and lots of delicious donuts.) Here are just a few snapshots from the day.




Instead of a cake we opted for a donut cake. Jack loooooves his donuts. Plus we have this really great local donut shop down the street and we go pretty much every Saturday. It's great to support the local places and their donuts are the best I have ever had.

The Birthday boy!

It even snowed on his day!

One of Jack's favorite friends, Addison.


Favorite shot of the day. I think Jack tried to eat the candle. That's his "I don't like that taste" face.



Loves his sprinkles. Like his mama.

love balloons.

To make the day a real party kind of day, we later dressed up and headed over for my dear friend's 29th Roaring 20's Birthday Bash! It was so.much.FUN!


Everyone dressed up and it was a great mix of husbands and wives and older and younger ladies. We have a Monday night Bible study that we do with some of the older ladies.


Some of the girls.

Some of the wise golden girls.

Happy Birthday, Keri!
Large and in charge!

Keri and her man, Orion.



It really was a great way to end a celebration filled day. But man, I wasn't prepared for how tired I would be the next day. Still tired from that weekend. Just kiddin'.
So thankful for good friends, beautiful weather and a two year old who is over his cold. Ready for Christmas? You bet.



2 comments:

Moments and Impressions said...

I never nested with my little one! That party looks like such a great time and the donut cake is my favorite. I might have to borrow that idea!

Roxanne said...

What a great day! Happy Birthday, Jack!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...